Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Which Bible Translation is Better?

This post is not a translation. The following was written by Fr. Augustinos Hanna of St. John Coptic Orthodox Church of Covina, California for the May 2010 issue of the Saint John magazine. I couldn't not share.
Three persons were talking about some of the recent translations of the Bible. One said, "I like the New English version of the Gospels. It's easier reading than all the older versions."

The second person said, "I prefer the New King James Bible. The translators have modernized the language without sacrificing the meaning or reverence." To which the third person replied, "I know an even better translation. I like my mother's translation best. She translated the Bible into life, and it is the most convincing translation I have ever seen. She was a loving person who always took the needs of others seriously. That is what Jesus did, when He was on earth."
I'd have to agree with the third person. My dad was a living Bible too. His translation was the easiest to understand and the easiest to follow. Even the verses I found hardest to comprehend, he simplified through action.

Can those around us truly say that the word of God has touched them through our lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment